1) Not on the Menu: I love this post, which addresses some of the same issues I was grappling with the other day in The Adoption Illusion. Regardless of how we handle the matter as adoptive parents, the biological family is part of the equation.
2) Open Adoption Roundtable: Ever Wanted to Walk Away? I particularly enjoyed this response to the question, “Has open adoption ever felt like too much?”
3) Totally Unexpected: No, it isn't always easy. Like all relationships, open adoption relationships require maintenance. I appreciate the willingness of these parents to put in work for the sake of their daughter.
4) Extensions: "I know because of the relationship we already have Kylie will know her roots and have lots of time with her birth family but it’ll be interesting to see how this all plays out in terms of how we all define the relationship in the long term. This is a part of an open relationship which takes a lot of care. I just hope Kylie grows up knowing just how much we do."
5) Communication and More Communication: Another adoptive mom who puts in the work, with good results: "I love seeing Mara with her brothers and sisters.... While she misses her family every day, at least I know she knows how much she's loved."